Friday, September 23, 2005

Day two in Nairobi

Well I still have Internet so I can post an update again. We started today with a health overview and were given PC first aid kits that have just about everything you could want for a minor injury or illness. I was also stuck two more times - this time for typhoid and meningitis - but I still have plenty more injections to go over the next three months. Today I also ate more than I should have; that's why I'm skipping out on dinner right now. It's been all you can eat Kenyan for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, plus two mandatory 30 minute coffee breaks in between. I'm sure they are trying to ease us in gradually and the food supply will diminish once we go to our training site tomorrow. We also went through some basic Swahili lessons today. We've met some current volunteers and it's pretty incredible how much Swahili the volunteers know who have been at there sites for a year. I have an interview with the Peace Corps business Development Manager tomorrow so I should have a better idea of what exactly I'll be doing shortly. From talking to volunteers in the program business development is extremely varied from person to person and site to site.

After training we went out of our gated and locked hotel compound and walked up the street for a beer. The part of Nairobi we are in, which is apparently once of the nicer areas, is very dirty, crowded, and poor. It's quite a culture shock already and I know this is just the beginning. So that's all today. Perhaps I'll be able to shoot something out from the training center we are leaving for tomorrow, but if not I'll do what I can to update everyone soon.

Oh, here's a few pics if I can get them to upload:

Never mind, it's been twenty minutes. Maybe sometime I wont be on a hub sharing a dialup connection.

Miss everyone and will write more soon.