Monday, October 24, 2005

Week...um four?

Ok, another thing that's hard to adapt to...an Internet connection that is so unreliable I can only get it to work a week and a half later when the post office is about to close. I'll write fast and try to get in as much as I can. First off there is a a big vote coming up for a new constitution. The two parties, Orange (don't change the constitution) and Banana (change it) and doing some pretty dirty things to keep the people from voting for the "wrong" party. Here in Kitui there was a political rally for the Chungwa (Orange) group on Friday. A truck with loud speakers drove by announcing to the entire city and surrounding villages that it was actually a Ndizi (banana) rally so people supporting Orange wouldn't go. Also, the villagers were informed that food rations were available for free on the opposite side of town at the same time the rally started, so everyone went to get food when none was available, just to prevent attendance at the rally. How this helps support the opposing party's cause is beyond me, but that's Kenyan politics according to the trainers here. The voting day is November 21st and therefore we are not allowed to go anywhere outside Kitui until December without trainers or family members, because PC is worried about potential violence that may spur up at rallies.

Oh, I had a 103 degree fever last night, but I was freezing cold at the same time so that was nice. It started to go down this morning and it's almost gone now so whatever it was has passed. I called the medical office and they think it was from being in the sun too long without enough water, which is way better that malaria...so note to self, drink more water, cause it's really hot and dry here.

I went on another monkey adventure last week. I saw more monkeys, which were not at all scared off us. They took turns sitting on the best branch to see us and one of them had a baby on her stomach which was really cute.

I went to the market place today and bought a goat for 800 shillings (about $10). It's name is Red and it's tied up outside right now to come back with me to my house. It's a pregnant female so I hope to have goat babies that will grow up to be delicious meals in the near future.

I also went to my sister's boarding school and it reminded me of a concentration camp. The building was in horrible condition and everyday for breakfast they eat runny porridge and lunch and dinner is maize and beans. Things are definitely different here.

I'm being run out now but I think I got the key points in. I'll try to update again soon.