Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Pictures!! -- Finally

Well it’s been an interesting week and there’s plenty to write but I’ll start with some pics for a change. The electricity finally came back after taking a one month holiday, and with it my ability to upload the pics off my digital camer; the things I took for granted.

Starting with my visit to the Brittany James Chirdren's House:

Here’s Steve James, the founder of BJCF, with one of the Orphan girls in his lap

This is a pic of the welcoming celebration we received
from the Children when we arrived at the orphanage

On one of the visits into the surrounding community we stopped at a Church that is receiving funding from BJCF. An all too familiar sight, whenever large groups of wazungu congregate in a Kenyan village building the windows fill with curious children.

The orphanage is always bustling with activity. Here the roof is being added to the new girl’s dormitory (it was finished on the same week this picture was taken) and in the background women are drawing water from the well and carry clothes to be washed.

Can you find me in this picture?

Now onto my own Orphan's group back in Kakamega, The Wake Up Women's Group. This is a secondary project of mine I'll go into more detail on in my next blog post:


This is the Wake Up Women's Group members and children posing for a picture



Here we are serving the Children lunch for an Easter Holiday party. Everyone else is apparently fine, but this very lunch put me in the hospital with a nasty stomach bug that I'm still fighting



This is Brenda, the HIV positive little girl I'm working with. She has an infection on the left side of her face that has caused it to swell (an opportunistic disease caused from her weakened immune system), and as soon as the medicine she has been given for this clears the infection the doctor will put Brenda on ARV's (antiretroviral drugs), which may even be able to bring her health back to that of a normal ten year old kid.