Sunday, July 09, 2006

Lawyers and Camels

Things are back to normal after IST and our 4th of July party. On Tuesday I took the night train back to Kisumu and decided I won’t travel via bus ever again if I can help it. The train appears to date back to colonial times and it felt like going back in time to ride on it, but at least the ride was pothole free. Also, unlike the night bus that stops every hour, turns the interior lights on, then fills with hawkers trying to sell ballpoint pens and plastic combs in the middle of the night, I actually got a few hours of sleep.

Nothing else very exciting happened this week, but a lot of things are happening in the near future. On Thursday I went to Bungoma to visit a Lawyer and give her a draft constitution for our company to become a company limited. I am hoping our Network will get some buyers soon for chili peppers and sweet potatoes, and I would like to get some contracts to ensure that if our farmers start growing cash crops there is a guaranteed market and price for what they are growing. Beyond contracts, becoming a company limited also limits our liability in case of legal issues. The intention is to be limited through privately held shares (we’re not on the NASDAQ yet), and it will be interesting to see how well it will all come together. Anyway, I have a meeting with the lawyer again in a week to finalize everything.

Beyond the company limited I have been told we will know for sure where we stand on our grant money from the Ministry of Agriculture next week. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a check so we can get started on the flour project but we’ll see. It doesn’t appear to be that easy to get project money from the Kenyan Government, so even though it’s been promised I’m not holding my breath.

Now onto the fun stuff: There’s a “Camel Derby” in the Northern Kenyan desert in the first week of August, and I really want to be a part of it. Right now I’m just waiting on security clearance from Peace Corps. It includes a Camel Race (with an amateur class), and a bike/run/camel triathlon, and it’s been put together as a fund raiser by a returned Peace Corps volunteer living in Kenya. Also, there’s a volunteer working with the FAO on the beach in Kilifi, and I’m hoping I can go from the Camel Derby to the coast and spend a week or so soaking up the sunshine and helping a bit with the coast FFS groups. I’m also tossing around the idea of meeting a few other PCV’s near Mombasa to get SCUBA certified or going North to visit a volunteer working near the beautiful Swahili island of Lamu. Peace Corps work is not without its perks.