Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Pictures at Last!

It feels so nice to be on a computer. I know it's pathetic but I'm afraid I'm an addict going through a bad case of email and google withdrawal. It's been about two weeks with the only network in Kitui down but now I'm in Nairobi on a broadband network. Before I do anything else I'm going to attept to post some pics...wish me luck!!


This is my host family...or some of it. My moma, Moma Veronica, my extremely intelligent seven year old Michael who can beat me at cards, and Junior, my sister Jackie's little boy who is my favorate sometimes and my least favorate others.

Here's my goat Red. We're buddies now so it's going to be a sad day when we eat her. Mom/Dad..you're looking at dinner when you come to visit!

This is the dry riverbed by my house. Once the rainy season comes in full force it will be full, but for now it's a place where livestock roam around and a shortcut to my house.

Here's a moma carrying about 100 pounts of firewood on her back. The women here are incredible and sooner or later I will write a blog post completely devoted to mamas. Although the men won't admit it it often seems like they run this country.

Here's some pics of Kitui. Beautiful, isn't it? Actually it really is alright once you get used to it. The top pic is the main strip, the woman in the middle is in the market grinding maize and beans, and the pic on the right is a poor Muslim area near the city.

Here'a a crazy Matatu driver putting the usual 10,000 pounds of stuff on the roof before taking off at reckless speeds to the next destination.

Ahh Diana...my favorate little kid. Every time she sees me she screams as loud as she can and buries her face into her mom. My family thinks it's hillarous but sometimes it hurts so much to be discriminated by a 1 year old child. :-)

Here's my mama pouring my bath water, and a nice shot of the compound I'm staying at.

Finally, here's our group right before we left. I'm giving this link out to some of the volunteers so I can't say anything too bad about them :-)

Ok, so pics are posted. This took all day and I've been walking in and out and waiting 20 minutes for each pic to publish, but I'll try to keep them coming.