Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Even More Pics

Here's another set of pics to add to the ones I just posted. Might as well do this while the web is actually fast (comparatively) for a change:


Here is a matatu Stage in Kampala, Uganda. I have no idea how it's possible to find your way through here or maneuver a matatu out of the pile

This is the Nile River in Uganda. I wish I could have gotten some pics while rafting but very few cameras could have survived the trip.

I have puppies now! The mama dog in my compound gave birth to a litter of six. Unfortunately only these three made it but the remaining ones are doing fine. The one on the right is my favorite and the other two will be given to other PCV's


Sweet Potato Graduation 2006: A big festival for farmers who have been educated on planting techniques. I wish I could just sit in the back at some of these things but I'm always put up front and given special treatment. Fun for awhile but annoying on a regular basis. Here we are being given the usual garland necklace as part of the festivities.


This is Habakkuk, the chairman of the FFS Network and a close friend of mine. The three kids on the left are his, while the three on the right are his siblings' children


This is Homa Bay, a beautifully scenic village on Lake Victoria.


While visiting some Peace Corps friends in Rongo, a village in the Nyanza Province of Western Kenya, this bird landed on the fence outside. It'’s called an African Flycatcher. A flock of them live in the mango tree in the backyard, and they do a great job keeping the bugs away. This is the dominant male of the flock.


This is Mickey Freeman. His name sounds American, and that's because he is named after the Peace Corps volunteer who worked in my position before me. He's the son of Habakkuk. The kid is huge and not even one year old: proof that good farming practices and nutrition pay off.