Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Pics - Maralal Camel Derby

Well the Maralal Camel Derby was great fun, and although I lost my Ipod (a.k.a. my link to sanity) during my whirlwind tour of Kenya at least my camera made it back. Here's a few pics from the trip:

Elephants in the wilderness of Nothern Kenya. So you don't have to go to a game park after all!

Samburu children on the roadside as we wait our turn to ford the flooded road

Samburu road block, waiting for the cattle to cross

Here's my champion camel, isn't he just precious?

I'm hoping I don't get bit or spat on in this photo

The start of the camel race

Trotting to the finish line at the end of the camel-athlon
Two of the FSD girls, Kim and Noel, who joined me for the trip. They thought it would be funny to run the race in school girl uniforms and got quite a reaction from the crowd.
The winners...me, my camel, and my Samburu camel handler. Third place ametuer camel, first place ametuer camel-athlon.