Sunday, January 15, 2006

Bullfighting pics, etc.

So here are a few pics from the bullfight and other stuff

Village kids will play with almost anything. For instance, the children in my compound amused themselves with a few of my empty cereal boxes for weeks. I figured they would really enjoy an actual toy, and for just a few dollars I was able to make a swing for my compound and hang it from a tree in the yard. Now the kids in the village play on it from dusk till dawn.

Here's the bullfight in action

The losing bull finally had enough of getting pushed around. Here he is running away, like a coward (get it? "cow"ward?) while people scurry to avoid being run over.

Ahh, sweet victory. Here's the gigantic winning bull surrounded by his village.

Here is the victory parade for the winning bull. Lots of music and dancing while the competing bulls "cow"er in fear of the winner


Some guy told me there are some African women who can hold three times their weight on their heads. I don't know about that but I do know that this many branches hoised over my head would crush me.