Friday, January 13, 2006

Mfangano Island Pics

I had to run into town briefly today and the Internet is a bit faster, although I need to be quick because it's about time for the power to go out again. It turns out that because of a really bad drought they are now rationing power, so during the only time of the day that I actually use it, 5:00 - 9:30, hakuna stima (Swahili for "sitting in the dark all night"). So everyone pray for rain here or I'll have to continue living like I actually am in the Peace Corps!!

Anyway, here's some pics from the weekend. These are scaled down and don't really do much justice to just how beautiful it was, but given the circumstances it's hard to complain about the size of the pictures I'm able to post half a world away.

One of the boats the fisherman use to catch tilapia from Lake Victoria. It is the same basic design that's been used for hundreds of years, but regardless they seem to work just fine.

Kenyan mamas doing laundry and dishes on the shore of the smaller Island near Mfangano. The other side this island is a resort that costs thousands of dollars just to get to.

This is the million dollar view from the yard of one of the poor farmers at the top of the mountain. That's another island off in the distance and behind that a horizon of blue water.

When the boats catch the wind the sails almost touch the water. If I had grabbed this shot just a few seconds earlier the sail was even closer to the lake and the fisherman were doing everything they could to counterbalance against the breeze.

This is the living room of the farmer who took me in for lunch. Million dollar view outside, broken chairs , small rickety table, and leaky roof inside. The bread and water bottle on the table were mine; this family had almost nothing at all.

Another shot of the small Island beside Mfangano. Stupidly, I forgot to load a picture of the Island where I actually spent the weekend on my flashdrive, but maybe next time.

Some of the very colorful fishing boats docked on the shore of Lake Victoria

Fisherman coming in with a load of fish and taking down the sail; basically two large branches and a patchwork of fabric.